Get a Free Flu Shot
Getting a flu shot is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your family this fall. Abbott offers two ways to protect yourself this year with a free flu shot:
- Onsite at Abbott. Many Abbott locations offer onsite flu shots for employees, even if not enrolled in an Abbott medical plan. Check out the 2021 schedule to see if your site is hosting.
- If you work in Temecula, CA, contact Occupational Health Services at 951-914-9069 to make an appointment for the month of October.
- From your physician or a convenient care clinic. Abbott medical plan participants and their covered dependents can visit their in-network physician or an in-network convenient care clinic for their flu shot. If you go out of network, your flu shot is covered once you meet your deductible and pay coinsurance.
ONSITE FLU SHOTS: WHAT TO EXPECT
Abbott is working with our vendor partner to support a safe experience for everyone. To maintain a safe number of people in the testing area, walk-ins will not be offered so make your appointment in advance.
When you arrive for your appointment, a nurse will administer quadrivalent vaccines which protect against two A-strains and two B-strains of the flu virus.
- an A/Victoria/2570/2019 (H1N1) pdm09-like virus;
- an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus;
- a B/Washington/02/2019- like virus (B/Victoria lineage);
- a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage).
THE FLU AND COVID-19
According to the CDC, there is no evidence that getting a flu vaccine increases the risk of getting COVID-19. There are many benefits from flu vaccination and preventing the flu is always important. In the context of COVID-19, it’s even more important that we all do everything possible to reduce illnesses and preserve scarce healthcare resources. We encourage you to get both the flu and COVID-19 vaccinations. Check with your medical provider if you have any questions, and refer to state and local resources for where to get the COVID-19 vaccine in your area at no cost.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
All U.S. Abbott employees are eligible to receive their flu shot at an onsite event. However, you should talk to your doctor if you are allergic to eggs, egg products or are pregnant. Pregnant women are not eligible. As a reminder, please stay home if you are feeling sick or experiencing one or more of the COVID symptoms as outlined by the CDC guidelines, such as, but not limited to, fever/chills, cough, shortness of breath, nausea or vomiting etc. You will not receive a flu shot if you are exhibiting these symptoms.
PROOF OF VACCINATION
If you participated in an onsite flu shot event and need proof that you were vaccinated, you may request a flu vaccination receipt by sending an email to Affiliated Physicians at email@example.com. When you send an email, provide your first and last name, the location and date you got the flu shot, and Abbott UPI. Please allow up to 5 days to be able to provide verification.
PREVENTIVE CARE PAYS OFF
Take advantage of all the free preventive benefits available under your Abbott medical and dental coverage:
- Flu shots and other immunizations
- Annual check-ups and teeth cleanings
- Routine screenings, such as lab tests, mammograms and colonoscopies
Talk to your doctor about what might be right for you and your family.
Visit AbbottBenefits.com today to learn more.